Introduction

To Hear and Obey

In this day and age there are many voices clamoring to be heard. Everyone has an answer and an opinion. But what if there were only one voice to be heard? Only one opinion? I along with other like minded people have been seeking, knocking and asking. For a surety there are two voices speaking in the world today. One voice is saying "take your life in your own hands as you see your own needs". The other voice is saying "give up your life, follow me, give me control of your life". The first voice mentioned here seems to be the most popular. So the obvious decision here is to hear the second voice "give up your life" and go with the minority. For with this voice if we follow will lead to a very narrow road. This road is not the scenic route either. Most maps will tell you that it doesn't even exist. In fact if you travel this path everyone around you will do everything in their power to get you off of it. I sincerely hope you have already made a decision to take this road, and since so few choose it may we see each other often in the fellowship on it. If you have not made this decision I pray that you would follow this journey. Shalom, Chris

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Simchah/joy

               To clarify the reason for these studies on the origins of words simply put. I desire to know the truth spoken by The Messiah Yeshua. Many psalms speak of the wonders of YHWH, a deep intimate knowledge that surpasses any writings or emotions. Down deep in his nefesh(soul) David was a man after YHWH'S own heart. That description is hard for me to fathom. Do I see others as YHWH see's them? Do I love as YHWH does? Do I hate sin and not the sinner as YHWH does? The answer would be; sometimes. I don't believe that I can sit back on my laurels and just coast through to the next life. I know many of you don't either. I believe there is a greater depth to the words given in YHWH's Torah. Messiah Yeshua spoke of the circumcision of the heart and it seems few heard Him. Many times my wife and I have discussed "joy" and what it means to us. More often than not we notice the lack of it. But what exactly is it?

Mat 25:21 “And his master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy servant. You were trustworthy over a little, I shall set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.

                 I always look first to the Torah to get the original Hebrew word first. To my surprise the first entry translated to the word "joy" does not appear until 1 Sam 18:6 so I began to study each entry. There are 13 Hebrew words translated to the  word "joy".  To me thats quite a loose translation. Most have nothing to do with joy as we might define it as the concordance often refers to the "abstract" definition. For most people who have been part of the messianic culture "simchah" is the most familiar word in the Hebrew. There are a couple others that have some  bearing but I will focus on "simchah" and "ranan". Mainly due to the following verse taken from the king james version.

Rom 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. (see end for tansliteration)

               This is the one of the verses that prompted my study into meanings behind the words.  Exactly how would you describe words like "hope, joy, peace and a holy ghost" to someone you might be sharing with? Yet It is verses like these that entire sermons and doctrines have been built around. There are so many abstract meaningless holes here that it would be impossible to discern the meaning behind the words. When you read of the men and women in scripture is it easy to understand why they fell on their facesor danced in the streets? Did you ever wonder at the one on one prayers they prayed and the answers received? Is it possible that we don't know because we have been filling ourselves with philosophical words from men? Yes there is a greek pagan root to this word joy also. But I don't feel like pointing to it. Instead I want to understand the correct response for all who take refuge in YHWH.



Psa 5:11 But let all who take refuge in You rejoice; Let them ever shout for (ranan)joy, because You shelter them; And let those who love Your Name exult in You.

               Amazing, the picture here is not to shout for undefinable abstract joy. But rather to SHOUT or ranan, Let those who love your name exult in You. This is not a "hey I'm happy shout". This is a exclamation, one that everyone within hearing distance turns their head. This is a shout that claims that the deliverer has something that everyone needs to know about
H7442
רנן
rânan
raw-nan'
A primitive root; properly to creak (or emit a stridulous sound), that is, to shout (usually for joy): - aloud for joy, cry out, be joyful, (greatly, make to) rejoice, (cause to) shout (for joy), (cause to) sing (aloud, for joy, out), triumph. -
AHLB #1451 Shout: [freq. 54] (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Pual, Piel, Participle) |kjv: sing, rejoice, shout, cry|
{str: 7442, 7444}

           The verse above I would describe this way according to the ancient hebrew pictures. The first letter the dalet is the door or pathway. The second, a noon and the third letter a final noon are "activity and life".
Perhaps saying that this is an activity that brings life on the pathway. What is the first thing a baby does when born? The first activity of life is a scream or a shout "here I am". When you get a perfect report card what do you do? You shout of course.
------------------
Psa 137:6 Let my tongue cleave to my palate, If I do not remember you, If I do not exalt Yerushalayim Above my chief joy.

H8057
שׂמחה
śimchâh
sim-khaw'
From H8056; blithesomeness or glee, (religious or festival): -  X exceeding (-ly), gladness, joy (-fulness), mirth, pleasure, rejoice (-ing).

       The picture I have associated with these two words is, "David". From shepard boy to king the things shouted from his lips we have as worship songs today. But does the same response come to us that came to Miriam at the reed sea. I would state that today is no different from yesterday. There is no lack of the wonders of YHWH and our need to praise Him, even to shout it from the rooftops or dance down the street. Of course you might go to jail, but perhaps if we kept singing the doors would open and they would either join us or let us go to shut us up!





Rom 15:13 Now the Elohim of yachal(expectation for what will come), fill you with all simchah(shouting in praise) and you be shalom(whole and complete) in believing, that ye may abound in yachal(expectation for what will come), through the power of the Ruach HaKodesh.

No comments: